I believe that all human life is sacred. Life begins at conception and should be protected by law. Taxpayer money should never be used to subsidize abortion, as with Obamacare and Planned Parenthood. Congress has an obligation to defund all abortion subsidies.
I am committed to advancing pro-life legislation in the House of Representatives. Here is one of the bills I have co-sponsored with my colleagues this Congress:
- R. 816, the Life at Conception Act, to implement equal protection under the 14th amendment to the Constitution for the right to life of each born and preborn human person.
The 1980 Supreme Court ruling in Harris v. McRae declared that women do not have a constitutional right to have an abortion at the public’s expense. The “Hyde Amendment,” which was upheld in this ruling, restricts federal funding for abortion under Medicaid and other Health and Human Services programs.
Unfortunately, legislative loopholes still exist, and taxpayers are still forced to subsidize abortions in certain instances, despite the Hyde Amendment and similar pro-life legislation. Indeed, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) allows federally subsidized abortions and forces American taxpayers to subsidize healthcare plans that include abortion coverage.
I recognize the right of every American to keep their taxpayer dollars from funding abortions. I have co-sponsored two bills to close these loopholes:
- R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, to prohibit federal funds from being used for abortion or health coverage that includes coverage of abortion. With my support, H.R. 7 passed the House of Representatives on January 22, 2015.
- R. 217, the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act, to prohibit the Department of Health and Human Service (HHS) from providing federal family planning assistance to an entity unless it certifies that it will not perform or provide funds to any other entity that performs abortions.
Planned Parenthood is the number one abortion provider in the United States. Planned Parenthood executives exposed their wanton disregard for the life of the unborn in a recent series of undercover videos. Top executives of the organization were seen explaining how they not only profit from the intentional destruction of unborn children, but also sell children’s organs to fetal tissue brokers. I support denying federal funds to Planned Parenthood and a full investigation into the alleged practices uncovered by the videos. Planned Parenthood should not get one penny from taxpayers.
I have both introduced and co-sponsored legislation regarding Planned Parenthood in the 114th Congress:
- R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act, to place a one-year moratorium on federal funding to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. while increasing funding for community health centers. With my support, H.R. 3134 passed the House of Representatives on September 18, 2015.
- R. 3245 – Government Refusal of Abortion in Contracting and Enterprise (GRACE) Act. I introduced this bill on July 28, 2015 to would prohibit federal contracts with any entity that donates or matches employee donations to Planned Parenthood.
I am committed to protecting the sanctity of life and to defending the rights of millions of Americans who are morally opposed to taking the life of an unborn child.